Guide to Professional Development
As you grow in your career, remember no one is born brilliant at their job. Every successful person has been learning and working at their skills for a long time — taking advantage of professional development opportunities over the entirety of their career.
The professional world is becoming increasingly competitive and is constantly changing, so professional development and continual learning are more important than ever in being successful and achieving career goals. Technologies and best practices are evolving and progressing in every industry, making it crucial for both new and experienced professionals to continue developing their skills and honing their knowledge.
What Is Professional Development?
Professional development refers to continuing education and career training after a person has entered the workforce in order to help them develop new skills, stay up-to-date on current trends, and advance their career.
Many fields require professionals to participate in continuing education and ongoing learning, sometimes as a prerequisite for keeping their job or to maintain their license, designation, or certification. Beyond continuing education, professional development can refer to many different types of relevant educational or training opportunities relevant to the professional’s work. Even when not required, many professionals who want to excel in their careers will voluntarily seek out professional development and learning opportunities.
What Is the Purpose of Professional Development?
The purpose of professional development is to give professionals the opportunity to learn and apply new knowledge and skills that can help them in their job and further their careers. Professional development is all about building your skillset and knowledge base for your field.
And professional development isn’t just helpful for you — it’s helpful for your employer, too. By having opportunities to learn, increase your skill sets, and stay up-to-date on industry trends, professionals like yourself increase your own worthwhile also adding to your company’s overall value.
Professional development and professional training opportunities provide many other specific benefits for both young and experienced professionals. Some of these benefits are listed below, but this list is by no means comprehensive.
What Are the Benefits of Professional Development?
- Professional development expands your knowledge base
- Professional development boosts confidence and credibility.
- Professional development increases earning potential and hire ability.
- Professional development can provide networking opportunities
- Professional development keeps professionals current on industry trends
- Professional development can open the door to future career changes.
How Can I Improve My Professional Development?
There is no universally “right” way to plan for career growth and career development. But to find the right professional development opportunities that are best for you, you need to start with your career goals. Once you know your goals, it is easier to seek out and take advantage of the professional development opportunities that are right for you.
While continued learning and training opportunities are always important, there are many ways you can augment your professional development and invest in your career. Ways to improve your professional development include:
- Develop a timeline with career milestones. If appropriate, take your timeline to your boss or manager during your one-on-one meetings or annual reviews and ask them to help you manage your career to reach your milestones.
- Take advantage of any and every training program and professional development opportunity your company offers and you think would be helpful to your career.
- Find a mentor you look up to and whose career growth you would like to imitate. A mentor is a great way to learn about new opportunities, and learning from someone else’s experience can give you an edge over other professionals.
- Consider a lateral move within your industry to broaden your experience. Having an understanding of and being able to perform multiple related jobs can be very helpful as you progress in your career.
Most importantly, have a career plan. A career plan should include your timeline and milestones mentioned above along with your career goals and how you plan to achieve them. The most successful people in any industry who are satisfied in their careers proactively planned what they wanted from their career. As your career progresses and you gain a better understanding of your industry and what you want from a career, be sure to update your career plan.
Professional Development Topics That Can Help in your growth and development
- Workplace conflict management and resolution. …
- Critical thinking. …
- Delivering performance appraisals. …
- Time management tips. …
- Establishing a mentor. …
- Mastering change in the workplace. …
- Persuasive storytelling. …
- Finding comfort in public speaking.
- Using creativity in the workplace
- Performance Management
- Enhancing Customer Experience
- This event has passed.
Start TimeApril 30, 2021 - 10:46 am
End TimeApril 30, 2021 - 10:46 am